Westbrook Academic Program
Westbrook Preparatory School offers a robust academic program designed to provide rigor within a therapeutic learning environment for both day and residential students.
The curriculum is aligned with the New York State Common Core Learning Standards and students are provided with coursework required to meet New York State graduation requirements for a Regents diploma.
All Westbrook students receive daily instruction within a low ratio (6:1:1) setting to ensure appropriate attention to their individual needs as well as the provision of differentiated instruction by our outstanding faculty. Our innovative curriculum content and design reflects the integration of best pedagogical practices and is geared to foster the self-actualization process for all our students. We emphasize constructivist learning approaches, inquiry-based learning strategies, student autonomy, and access to multiple learning modalities. Our classroom environment is structured, nurturing, and filled with multiple opportunities for students to express their creativity and draw upon their unique strengths, preferences and interests.
Academic Program Highlights
- Access to learning technology via the use of laptops, audiobooks and iPads
- Annual parent-teacher conferences
- Array of related services embedded within the school day
- Availability of school-wide Positive Behavior Supports (PBS)
- Collaboration with Nassau BOCES in the provision of online coursework
- Curriculum-based field trips and site visits
- Daily academic support periods for all students
- Innovative art and music curricula including courses in digital music theory and notation
- Innovative technology curriculum including courses in MS Office suite and Blockly coding
- Innovative health and wellness curriculum including topics such as self-advocacy, healthy body image and safe dating
- Local member of National Honor Society
- Unique 6-week Summer Academy that supplements academics with recreational activities (i.e. hiking) and clubs (i.e. Rocketry Club)
- Valuable community internships and work-based learning
- Vibrant school community filled with fun activities and team building opportunities
In order to support our students’ positive growth throughout the traditional school year, Westbrook Preparatory School offers a unique 6-week Summer Academy program during the months of July and August. The program is designed to augment our academic program by providing a blended program of academics, athletics and recreational activities that target holistic growth and development during the summer months. Course offerings are diverse throughout the summer and may range from Regents examination preparation to popular electives such as Forensics and Pocket Theatre. During our Summer Academy, students are strategically programmed for courses based on academic requirements and they are also provided their typical array of related services. Academic coursework is supplemented by a range of daily activities that are congruent with student interests and preferences, and provide meaningful opportunities for engagement in community based activities such as internships, athletics, clubs, field trips and summer employment.
Summer Coursework and Activities:
- Crochet Club
- Field Trips
- Gaming Club
- Hiking Club
- Pocket Theatre
- Regents Examination Preparation
- Rocketry Club
- School Newspaper Club
- Summer Employment
- Travel Training
- Westbrook Talent Show
This program is associated with...
youth, adults and children
of participants in our award-winning Fathers' Program met their goals by improving their relationship with their children, financial commitment to their children, and/or connecting to essential services